All About BTC, LTC, ETH mining as well as other alternative crypto currencies
If you are using the Vircurex crypto currency exchange and have some coins in there you might be interested to read this news coming from their website. Due to the previous problems that the exchange had in the past they say that they have to either close the site with significant unrecoverable losses for all or to work out a solution that allows the exchange to continue to operate and gradually pay back the losses to the users. They have decided on a plan to do so in order to continue to operate and be able to pay back what they owe to all of the users, details of their plan to do so are listed below:
In preparation of the following, we have with immediate effect stopped the possibilities to withdraw BTC, LTC, FTC and TRC. All incoming deposits will also not be credited to the users accounts for the time being.
On 24th March 2014 we will be freezing the current BTC, LTC, TRC and FTC accounts, then perform the below distribution of the available coins and reenable deposits and withdrawals. This action will also require us to delete all open sell orders for BTC, LTC, FTC and TRC.
As you may very well be aware, we had two incidents last year that lead to a loss of a significant number of BTC, LTC, FTC, TRC. We had communicated at that time that we will be covering those losses from our income, which we have done so far. We had enough coin balances in our cold wallet to upkeep our platform and the positive cashflow enabled us to gradually refill the wallets.
Unfortunately we had large fund withdrawals in the last weeks which have lead to a complete depletion of our cold wallet balance and we are now facing the option of either closing the site with significant unrecoverable losses for all or to work out a solution that allows the exchange to continue to operate and gradually pay back the losses.
We have obviously chosen the later and hence are going to do the following:
1. We will introduce an additional balance type called “Frozen Funds”. Funds in this balance type cannot be used to trade or withdraw. Those are the balances that the exchange will gradually pay back and hence transfer back to the available balance over time.
2. We will move all current balances for BTC, LTC, TRC and FTC to the “Frozen Balance”, i.e. your balance will be set to 0.
3. We’ll take the current available cold storage balance and distribute it based on the below described distribution logic.
4. Monthly we will take the net profit of the exchange and credit back that amount distributed to the users based on the described distribution logic.
The freezing of the balances is a one-time action, it does not affect future deposits in any ways.
50% of the amount will be distributed top down and the other 50% will be distributed bottom up.
Top down means: credit the amount from the largest account balance down to the smaller accounts Bottom up: credit the amount from the smallest account balance to the larger accounts.
User 1: 5 BTC
User 2: 4 BTC
User 3: 3 BTC
User 4: 3 BTC
User 5: 3 BTC
User 6: 3 BTC
User 7: 1 BTC
Amount to distribute: 12 BTC:
Step 1: Top down distribute 6 BTC:
User 1: Credit 5 BTC
User 2: Credit 1 BTC, remaining frozen balance = 3 BTC
Step 2: Bottom up distribute 6 BTC:
User 7: Credit 1 BTC
User 6: Credit 3 BTC
User 5: Credit 2 BTC, remaining frozen balance = 1 BTC
This approach has the advantages that:
– all users will eventually receive their funds, though the timeframe depends on the monthly volume available
– new deposits and users are not penalized, thus supporting the ongoing operations of the platform
– fund withdrawals from the available funds are guaranteed, no surprises or unnecessary delays
We believe that this is the best way forward and hope for your support and understanding.
We do not like this kind of approach very much, but it is still better than going Gox like and just disappearing with the coins of the users. We have never liked very much the Vircurex exchange and though we have accounts there we are not actively using it anyway as there are other better exchanges available.